This is a union referred position. If you are interested in applying for this position, you must first report to the union hall at the following address. The union will instruct you on whether and how to apply for this position.
IBEW Local 42
379 Wetherell St.
Manchester, CT 06040
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for Building and Maintaining the Electric Infrastructure System, both underground and overhead electric lines.
- Perform work on Electrical Distribution and Transmission Lines, Sub-Station Construction and Maintenance Work.
- Responsible for digging holes for poles by hand or with mechanical equipment
- Responsible for unloading and moving material, handling, assembling and erection of all materials necessary on through to the ultimate completion of work
- Demonstrate ability to climb 100 foot utility poles
- Operate Heavy Duty Equipment, such as Backhoes, Augers, Cranes, and Ariel Lift Bucket Devices
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge in operation of Ariel Lifts up to 125 feet above ground
- Responsible for Safety.
- Responsible for ensuring rubber gloves are in proper working condition and without defect.
- Installation of conduit. Responsible for the layout and welding of underground conduit. Responsible for cleaning and treating of conduit, including swabbing. Testing and repair of the protective coating of the conduit.
- Perform Hot stick work. Perform framing, fitting and erection of poles, towers and electrical structures.
- Responsible to supply own tools such as a Lineman Bag, hammer, pliers, screw drivers, rulers, ect. as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement...
- Attendance Requirements are Monday through Friday 8 hours a day, except in the event of storm work or emergency work, employees may be placed “on call”
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must have active affiliation with IBEW Local Union 42 and documented proof.
- Must have a class A or B CDL License, with air brakes
- Must have completed the NEAT Apprenticeship training program, which includes 7000 hours of study, training and examinations, along with 3 ½ years of instruction and training
- Must be capable of hand excavation up to 8 feet in depth
- Must be capable of working in all types of inclement weather
- Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and the requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to wear necessary PPE as necessary.
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e., rain, heat, sun, cold.
- Must be able to traverse various terrains.
- Must be able to write, read and comprehend written and verbal job instructions/information.
- Must be able to communicate with others.
- Must be able to maintain attention during dangerous tasks.
- Must be able to lift, move and maneuver up to 50 pounds on an infrequent basis, and up to 10 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must have endurance necessary to perform these duties throughout a standard eight or ten hour day. Must be able to work long hours and overtime during emergencies (including holidays, weekends, etc. Subject to call out work).
- Must have knowledge of heavy equipment.
- Must have sufficient eyesight to judge distances and coordination to get and use the appropriate equipment and tools.
- Must be able to operate and service all required tools and equipment.
- Must have transportation to and from the show up location.
- Must be willing to travel out of state for emergency storm work.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Must be able to pass a background check and Motor Vehicle Records Check (MVR).
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
|Stooping||X||Range of Motion||X|
|Kneeling||X||Hearing - Speech Range||X|
|Body Twisting||X||Color Vision||X|
|Sense of Touch||X||Carrying||X|
|Seeing Distant||X||Climbing Ladders||X|
|Climbing On/Off Truck||X||Climbing Stairs||X|
|Gripping||X||Lifting up to 10 lbs||X|
|Lifting over 10 lbs to 50 lbs||X||Lifting up to 50 lbs||X|
|Rarely = less than 10%|
|Occasionally = up to 33%|
|Frequently = up to 66%|
|Continuously = 67% to 100%|
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language:
English – Spanish – Arabic – Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language:
English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: