- Denver, CO 80202
- Albuquerque, NM 87114
- Phoenix, AZ 85016
- Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- Las Vegas, NV 89108
- Los Angeles, CA 90008
- San Diego, CA 92112
- San Francisco, CA 94109
- Portland, OR 97206
- Seattle, WA 98108
- Dallas, TX 75201
- Houston, TX 77008
- New York, NY 10020
- Washington, DC 20008
- Jersey City, NJ 07304
- Chicago, IL 60602
- Minneapolis, MN 55408
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Tuition Assistance
Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR) is seeking a highly qualified Environmental, Health and Safety Division Manager (Rail) BBR provides services for public and private rail markets, including mass transit systems - heavy rail, light rail and streetcar – and Class 1, regional, shortline, private and freight railroads and ports. This role provides oversight and leadership to the environmental, health and safety programs of BBR. This position makes decisions and recommendations which can greatly impact the safety of employees and regulatory compliance and relationships with regulatory agencies. This position will be allowed to work remote, as long as the candidate is willing to travel 50% or more of the time to different rail job-sites around the Western part of the United States.
Develop, implement, lead and/or oversee all aspects of the environmental, health and safety programs of BBR including:
- Lead development and implementation of EH&S continuous process improvements.
- Lead development, implementation and continuous improvement of the sustainability process for BBR
- Provide regular and routine reports to senior management on the status of EH&S programs and key EH&S internal issues and on impacts of new regulatory activities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and support the railroad safety program.
- Lead and participate in the root cause investigations of significant EH&S incidents.
- Represent BBR on relevant steering teams, review groups and other intra company cooperative activities related to EH&S.
- Represent BBR at meetings with regulatory agencies regarding EH&S issues such as OSHA citations or environmental NOV’s.
- This position will also be responsible for the development, updating & management of BBR Safety Plan (in compliance with BBII Safety Policy) and all regulatory programs within BBR to ensure maximum compliance.
- Lead & administer BBR on implementation of all EH&S programs. This includes updating existing & developing new programs as needed due to regulatory changes, changes in company policies. Monitor EH&S metrics, including incident rates, energy consumption, waste generation, & provide management with feedback. This feedback must be detailed & provide guidance & direction for future actions to improve performance.
- Insure all employees, both hourly & management; receive all training necessary to safely perform their respective duties. This includes training for managers on programs they are required to implement.
- Direct the management of BBR EH&S managers, project EH&S reps, on environmental programs in the areas of pollution abatement, environmental & waste water management. Inform management of environmental problems (and solutions) involving employees, the company and public.
- Manage the maintenance of hazardous inventory and current status with regard to compliance with federal, state and local regulatory law.
- Insure that all environmental, health and safety reporting, preparation, application filing and associated fees are completed.
- Lead the internal EH&S audit programs of BBR and organize third party EH&S audits in compliance with BBR management plans.
- Work closely with BBR General Counsel and BBR Senior Operational leaders on reviewing new projects for EH&S scope items, responding to regulatory issues and other activities.
- Work closely with BBR EH&S managers to support/facilitate implementation of EH&S initiatives.
- Bachelor of Science in environmental engineering, environmental science, safety, industrial hygiene or similar related degree.
- 10 or more years in a senior level EHS position with a multi-site organization with experience in both environmental issues and health and safety issues.
- 8 or more years’ work experience in the railroad industry, with supervisory duties.
- Experience in all aspects of railroad construction & maintenance.
- Knowledge and understanding in safety protocols for OCS, traction power systems for electrified rail.
- Experience in safety management roles on electrified rail systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of OSHA, FRA and MSHA regulations.
- Must be proficient in the standard MicroSoft Office Suite of products.
- Willing to travel greater than 50% of the time to various job-sites within the United States.
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, environmental science, safety, industrial hygiene or similar related degree.
- Have achieved one or more of the following Professional certifications such as the CSP (Certified Safety Professional), CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) or REM (Registered Environmental Manager) required.
- Certified Storm water management professional certification.
- Member of the FRA Railroad Safety Advisory Committees (RSAC).
- Member of the National Railroad Construction and Maintenance Association Safety Committee.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills.
- Must be able to work without close supervision.
- Must have ability to work with diverse groups of individual and interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization from the site based laborer to senior management.
- Must have good oral presentation and technical writing skills.
Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: English