Discovery Senior Living, a national award-winning developer, owner, and operator of senior living communities is currently searching for an exceptional team member to join our team at our community called Oakleaf Village . Ranked as one of the top 20 largest senior living providers in the United States and the top 5 for growth in the world, Discovery is redefining senior living through innovation, leadership, and design. As a result the company currently has a flourishing portfolio of more than 6,500 homes with plans for continued growth.
Responsible for the overall operation of the Culinary Services Department and for meeting or exceeding the hospitality and service standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. This list is not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Develops and implements food services policies, procedures, and job descriptions.
- Plans menus and menu cycles according to cultural and regional food preferences, and resident dietary guidelines. Adjusts recipes to appropriate yield.
- Monitors the quality and consistency of the food to include food temperatures, portion control, palatability and attractiveness of food, and implements changes to ensure quality according to established standards.
- Ensures compliance with Resident dietary restrictions.
- Observes workers engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed.
- Gives instructions to cooking staff in fine points of cooking.
- Cooks and carves meats, and prepares dishes.
- Interacts with residents during meal times to monitor resident satisfaction or complaints about food service.
- Orders food and chemical supplies for the kitchen; receives and validates all food deliveries against order form.
- Establishes and maintains an accurate system for the tracking of meals served.
- Inventories food items monthly.
- Conducts regular Quality Assurance Audits.
- Practices safe and sanitary food handling.
- Practices all safety and loss prevention procedures.
- Attends “Food Forum” meetings.
- Negotiates and signs food service agreements with vendors.
- Monitors and corrects safety and sanitation procedures in the kitchen.
- Standardizes recipes and tests new products in meal service.
- Selects, schedules, and conducts orientation and in-service educational programs for personnel.
- Attends education and training sessions to improve knowledge and skills as a Food Service Manager.
- Develops food services budgets and monitors adherence to the budget. Initiates corrective action when food services costs deviate from the budget.
- Monitors monthly expenditures to include explanation of significant variances
to ensure compliance with budget.
- Assists other departments to ensure an organized and uniform system of services to residents.
- Evaluates and recommends equipment purchases according to established procedures.
- Prepares departmental objectives based on sound financial analysis, keeps work records and schedules, prepares department budgets, requisitions supplies, monitors inventory and establishes appropriate controls.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Manages kitchen staff and subordinate supervisors who supervise additional employees in the Dining Services department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Educational Requirements and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts program preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience in a food service environment.
- Must have successfully completed food safety training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Language Ability:
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally, speaking the primary language of the residents.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Cognitive Demands:
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills:
- Ability to use Microsoft Windows, including Word and Excel. Ability to use email and the Internet.
- Must demonstrate an interest in working with a senior population.
- Manages people effectively by taking responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; improves processes, products and services.
- Demonstrated ability in working within budgetary guidelines.
- Consummate people skills. Exhibits talent at interacting effectively with all types of people.
- Proficient organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Expert problem-solver.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Can define own role, take on responsibilities, and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Responds promptly to resident needs.
- Supports organization's goals and values.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Works primarily indoors.
- Possible exposure to high heat and cold temperatures.
- Possible exposure to chemicals as identified in the MSDS Manual.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the Team Member is regularly required to stand; walk and talk or hear. The Team Member is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The Team Member is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The Team Member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Chinese
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: English
Thank you for your interest in employment with Discovery Senior Living. We are an equal opportunity employer and give employment and promotional consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected class as defined by local, state, or federal law. We seek applicants for employment who are qualified, dedicated, hardworking, and who seek fulfilling employment. In return, Discovery Senior Living offers competitive income, benefits and an excellent working environment.
If you are selected for employment with Discovery Senior Living, you will also be hired simultaneously by Aureon HR, as you co-employer. Discovery Senior Living is your employer for the purposes of managing the day-to-day operations of the company and the employees. This includes responsibility for the worksite, scheduling of work, safety, and the direction of the individual team members in their positions. Aureon HR is the co-employer for managing the administrative portion of employment, such as benefits, payroll, and workers’ compensation insurance.
Applicants are subject to a background check. Employment is conditional based upon the results of the background check.
Applications are active for 30 days, but remain on file for one year.